Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Which came first...the image or the words?

Father, it has been 19 days since my last confession...Ooops, I meant to say: Reader, it has been 19 days since my last blog entry.

Please forgive my confusion, but doing these collages has felt a lot like sharing my trespasses with the great beyond. And although as a creative outlet it has been wonderful, revisiting and thinking about the images I have been creating has me thinking I'm on the couch trying to figure out what makes me tic!

Goodness knows I am always analyzing and no aspect of my life gets by without continual review. I have a very large collection of books but with very limited subject matter; if I'm not reading about gardens or art, you can bet I'm reading the latest self-help tome. It's like I'm always trying to fix something. And frankly, the collage tutorial has the same kind of feel for me as reading Wisdom of the Elders. The Four Agreements, The Seat of the Soul, etc.(which is probably what attracted me to it). I was hoping it would provide the formula needed for me to grow and set me free to create instinctively.

Has this happened? Not so much...because I just can't stop THINKING! But that is not to say that I have not benefited from the free 5 part tutorial given by Shelley Kramer . As a matter of fact, I will keep on doing this activity on my own because I think perhaps with time I will learn that I don't have to control everything in my life...I could just let my inner creator create. Take the image below - a bunch of random pics. No preconceived plan, no great message...

...but wait! All those stairs, the long narrow hall, the great wall. Stonehenge, the leaning tower, David and a Cherub, all gathered together...What could it mean?

3 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

You're hankering to travel...to get away from all the building going on at home? Ancient wisdom? Turn to ancient wisdom for knowledge? Just having fun :-)Curio in the beginning I think we do tend to think too much. I'm learning not to overthink but I will look through them all and suddenly something is so clear I can't believe I didn't see it earlier. When you start doing your art again you might find so much inspiration in your collages too. They are looking really good.

Willowpudgy said...

The last one makes me think of pathways, choices, journeys... there is a stoic wisdom to these historic monuments...

Curio said...

Robyn, thank you for your comments both here and on your blog...I feel like something is about to break free. Today, the studio wins!

WillowP, I agree. From the age of some of these monuments and stairways it is clear we have been on our journey for a very long time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails